Quinoa is a new find for me in Ramadan. As Ramadan started, you can see lot of newspaper articles on eating healthy, tips and so on. It is in one such article I discovered this food item. This is actually a seed but is prepared and eaten like a cereal. This can be used as a substitute to other cereals. It tastes great all by itself and is gluten and cholesterol free 🙂 There are many types of Quinoa – red, white and black. For today’s dish I am using white Quinoa.
The moment you type ‘Quinoa’ in Google search, you’ll get a lot of recipes. This is used in main course dishes, salads, starters, etc.. I attempted an Indian take with this and let me tell you, It was sooo yummy!
To cook Quinoa, you need one and half parts water for one part Quinoa.
Wash Quinoa under running water. Drain and add it into a saucepan.
Add cold water and heat on high heat.
When the water starts to boil, reduce the heat to low and cover and cook for exactly 15 minutes. That’s it!
Quinoa is cooked. Once cooked it looks like this.
You can now add this with veggies, lentils or non-veg items to create a starter, salad or main course dishes.
Now let’s get to make Mutton Masala!
Serves 4 people
Mutton Mince – 400 gm (for 340 gm of Quinoa)
Yogurt – 1 cup
Onions – 3 medium chopped
Tomato – 1 large chopped
Garlic – 5 cloves crushed
Ginger – 1 inch piece chopped
Green Chillies – 3 chopped
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Cardamom – 3 pods
Peppercorn – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch piece
Chilli Powder – 1 tbsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tbsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp
Soya sauce – 1 tbsp
Lemon Juice – 1tbsp
Salt – to taste
Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp chopped
1. Mix together yogurt, salt, turmeric powder and crushed garlic. Marinate mutton mince with this mixture.
2.Heat coconut oil in a wok. Add the cumin seeds.
3. Once the cumin seeds start to brown, add in the cardamom pods, peppercorns and cinnamon stick and stir for 30 seconds.
4. Add in he onions and saute till it browns.
5. Add ginger and green chillies and saute.
6. Now add salt (add little as you only salted the mutton), chilli and coriander powder and saute.
7. Add chopped tomato and saute till tomato softens and oil separates.
8. Now it’s time to add the marinated mutton. Cook till the yogurt smell vanishes.
9. Once the yogurt smell vanishes, continue to cook until you get a dry mixture. It can take up to 30-45 minutes to cook well.
|After 15 minutes|
|After 30 minutes|
10. Your mutton masala is ready.It’s a delicious side dish for rottis or rice. But here I am going to mix it with my Quinoa. Lower the heat and add the Quinoa little at a time in to the masala, mixing well.
11. Add in the soya sauce and lemon juice and mix. Let it cook in low flame for one minute more.
12. Scoop into a serving dish and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
So friends, I present to you the healthy Delicious Mutton Masala Quinoa 🙂
Do give this a try and let me know how you like it 🙂
Until next time, Bubye