This is a lovely sweet dish I learned from one of my friends from Kannur, Kerala. I have always loved their variety of dishes. This dish was originally prepared with ripe plantains. This is an innovation of the same recipe using carrots. This is also done with apples.
Now this is a sweet dish. It is rich and fattening. So, easy on the amount you eat 😉
Boiled Carrots – 3 large ones
Eggs – 5
Milk Powder – 5 tbsp
Sugar – 5 tbsp (you can decrease or increase the amount according to your preference)
Cardamom – 3 pods powdered
Nutmeg Powder – 1 pinch(optional)
Rose Water – 1 tsp(optional)
Salt – 1 pinch
Ghee -1 tbsp
Roasted Almonds – for garnishing
Keep 2 frying pans ready as well 🙂
NOW LET’S GET COOKING:
1. Add all ingredients except ghee and almonds in a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Heat a pan and coat it with half the amount of ghee. Pour in the carrot mixture.
3. Cover and cook on a low flame for about 20-25 minutes. You’d know it’s cooked when you insert a skewer in middle and it comes out clean.
4. Take the second pan, Coat it with the rest ghee. Place it upside down on the first pan and tilt. (if expert enough you could just tilt it on to a plate and slide it back to the same pan).
5. Cook for another 1 minute.
6. Get a serving dish ready and tilt the cake on to it. Let it cool.
7. Cut it into desired shapes and garnish with almonds.
Carrot Pola ready to be served 🙂
This was my first time trying this recipe. I browned it a little more than necessary but it was still good. Try not to brown it too much. You need to retain the orange color of the cake.
Do let me know how you like it after trying this recipe.